FOOD BANK MINISTRY
What is the Food Bank Ministry?
The LOPC Food Bank Ministry is a ministry that serves our local community as well as other areas of Greene and Putnam counties. In addition we contribute to needy areas in GA and in surrounding states. This ministry demonstrates our congregation's caring and loving hearts for people in need. For most people it is difficult to ask for help in their time of need, but we greet and assist each person that comes to us with a servant's heart.
What is the history of the Food Bank ministry?
A Food Bank Ministry was begun in the lake area in 2002. When discontinued in its existing location in 2007, it was relocated to LOPC. In May of 2008 a manufactured home was donated and moved onto our property, which provides a wonderful facility for packaging and storage.
Where does the food come from?
Of the food products, 75% is donated by a food company, and 25% is funded by the Food Bank's operating budget. These items include such things as beans, rice, canned vegetables, tuna, canned fruit, macaroni and cheese, and canned soups. 100% of the labor to pack boxes is donated by individuals with a heart for this ministry.
What locations are served?
- Eatonton, GA - DFACS (Department of Family & Children Services)
We distribute food to four local churches who distribute food to needy families in their area. Each church, including LOPC, have a custom sticker with their name on it and the message "Given in love in Jesus' name!" affixed to their boxes.
- First Baptist Church - Eatonton, GA
- Lakeside Church - Lake Oconee, Greensboro, GA
- Grace Fellowship - Greensboro, GA
- Appalachian region in Kentucky
- Anawalt, WV and Jenkinjones, WV - Helping Hands Food Bank
- Gastonia, NC - Food Bank
The Food Bank Director, Buddy Crews says that he expects the needs to continue to grow in the future. He plans more food drives and also clothes drives. Groups from LOPC have been on out of state missions trips, and more are planned in the future.
Donations to this ministry can be mailed to:
Central Georgia Christian Food Bank, 113 Scott Road, Eatonton, GA 31024
CGCFB is a 501c3 organization. A year end statement will be provided for tax purposes.
For more information regarding this vital ministry, or to volunteer, please call the church office at 706-484-0600.
Our Food Bank Ministry Team would like to give an update on the activities of the Central Georgia Food Bank:
- Boxes of food continue to be distributed to the needy locally through LOPC and several other churches in the area.
- We have assisted a new food bank in Kentucky to get up and running by teaching them organizational and operational procedures.
- Our sixth annual Simple Country Supper was in November of 2015. Donations help to fund trips to Anawalt, WV before Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Food, washers and dryers, and 75 Christmas gift bags for children were delivered to Anawalt, WV in December of 2011.
- Food is delivered to Anawalt, WV each November before Thanksgiving.
- Food and Christmas gifts are delivered to Anawalt, WV each December before Christmas. Please go here to view photos from a recent trip.
Please go here for an annual report.
Thank you for your continuing support from your Food Bank Team.
A Food Bank Ministry team traveled to Anawalt, WV in August 2015 to deliver a load of food. An hour down the road a tire blew, but thankfully it was changed without further incident. On this trip the team toured a coal mine museum, where they saw first hand the difficult circumstances that coal miners worked under. They earned 20 cents a day, and if they had a good day, they earned $1.20.